Thursday, November 17, 2011

mouth-breather

as my swelling goes down and i am getting a little feeling back in my face, i'm realizing that i cannot close my lips without straining quite a lot! my natural pose is with gaping mouth now.  it feels like i don't have enough skin/lips to meet together to cover my teeth.

probably related to the problem with closing my lips, my upper lip has gone from huge to almost non-existent! i am not sure if this will correct itself or not.  i read on this jaw surgery forum that when you get the upper jaw moved forward, your upper lip becomes smaller, but that is unsubstantiated and i'm not 100% sure whether they moved mine forward anyway.  certainly hope i won't be slack-mouthed forever.  here is a pic of me i just took with natural mouth position.


2 comments:

  1. When were you able to get your lips to touch? My mouth looks similar to yours in this pic and I desperately want them to touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi jenn! you can see at week six on my most recent post that they are touching, but still strained. my surgeon says now i should actually start working with my top lip and pulling it down gently from the inside. he explained that when they put the stitches in up inside your mouth on your gumline, the stitches and the healing kind of pulls up your lip to the inside. that is why my lip seems smaller even though my jaw WASN't moved forward. so it's still a strain to close them but seems to be improving slowly even without doing this manual stretching yet. i think there still perhaps is some not-so-obvious swelling deflating now.

    ReplyDelete