Friday, December 16, 2011

long time no post

to any faithful blog readers, i know i left you high and dry for a while. today is seven weeks post-op!

in the past 10 days i basically did not feel like writing.  so i didn't.  this was my selfish vehicle to start with so i can selfishly not write too.  :P

but, here i am, alive, and much closer to well!

during my absence, i have been struggling with my infection, fighting those pirates hard.  but the past two days i've been really feeling better.  my writer's block has ended and i am optimistic that recovery waters are SMOOTH from here on out!

i'm eating soft food regularly, which is very enjoyable.  mostly the same things, oatmeal, mashed potatoes, eggs, and pasta.  AND milkshakes.  not the healthiest, but hey it's temporary.  counter intuitively, i am noticing more weight loss on my soft food diet than the liquid.  i theorize this is because i eat the soft food kind of slow and deliberately cause my jaw is lame.  thus don't end up consuming so many calories as drinking stuff, which is easier going down the hatch.  i just can't take the ensure and soup anymore!

feedback indicates i'm looking much better in the face. and i agree.  took this last friday (six weeks post-op).  it's blurry but gives you an idea.

2 comments:

  1. You look fantastic in your 7 week photo! I'm sorry to hear you had an infection. I'm only 5 days post op but I worry about that also. I'm in a lot of pain all the time and have to keep taking ibuprofen and lortabs. They make me sick though but without them I feel like my face has just been ran over by a MAC truck. I'm hoping the pain goes away soon and it's not an infection or a rejection to the metal. I honestly didn't think it was supposed to be this painful of a recovery which is why I think something is wrong. Trying to stay positive for now though as I know it's still really early.

    Anyway, your blog cracked me up! I will enjoy reading it. When were you cleared to eat soft foods like pasta and eggs? I can't wait! Already tired of soup, ugh..

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi tara - i was on painkiller (percocet type) for 2 weeks non-stop and then ibuprofen for like EVER, well about six weeks because of my infection and joint pain. yea you are very early - you're about to start feeling MUCH better in quick strides which will improve your spirits a lot. i was only supposed to start soft foods at six weeks. but i cheated and started at five because i couldnt take the soup anymore. :D i used the roof of my mouth and my tongue to "chew" tiny bits instead of my teeth. SENDING YOU GET WELL VIBES! ***

    ReplyDelete