Thursday, October 27, 2011

oh, baltimore

yesterday, my last day at work, was stressful. we had a huge event to execute which was very tiring.  spent all day lugging things, running around with my proverbial head cut off, making inane announcements on the mic, etc.  i managed to get myself sunburnt too.  i finally got done with the event and then i got an email which says that there is a problem with my insurance claim for the surgery.  the surgical coordinator kept telling me it would surely be covered with no problem, but the insurance decided that my measurements were not drastic enough for them to approve it (i.e. the problem and my complications weren't severe enough in their opinion).  nooooooooooooooo.

i was very upset and wavering on whether i should do the surgery if i have to pay myself (i can appeal the denial but i shouldn't get my hopes up).  at like 3 am today i decided to go ahead because my well-being is more important to me than the money.  i could wait until the problem gets worse, as it has been worsening quite a bit as i age, but i am wearing my teeth down and having aching jaws in the meantime, and for me that's no bueno.  i'm a little bummed obviously about the financial burden.  however, i'm just gonna roll with it and consider it as an investment in having an enriched life, like my masters degree but less painful.  HAHA!

anyway, my awesome mommy drove herself all the way from detroit to baltimore today and picked me up at the airport.  i initially refused her offer to come but relented and now i'm really glad to have the support. i'd probably be a nervous wreck sitting in this hotel room alone.  i have eaten my last meal, of cheese pizza that the girl at the hotel front desk gave us randomly.   i'll be on a liquid diet for six weeks.  (!)  i was planning to have some sort of grandiose feast tonight but i'm really not hungry and it's getting late.

gotta report at six am and then my surgery starts at 7:15. probably lasts six hours or so.  the reality of this craziness i'm about to endure has not really sunk in yet. just so tired from the last few days.  i hope to report back soon.  at that point i think the reality will have sunk in a bit. :D

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry not able to be with you at this time sweetie but I will be caring for you the following days

    ReplyDelete